- Book Style: Kids Autism Story
- Reading Level: 2 (Read with Help due to: some mid-level vocabulary)
- Reading Length: 5-7 minutes (FYI – we never account for toddler questions)
- Illustration: Oh so colorful and vibrant
- Age Target: 2-8 Years of Age
- Author: Tiffany Banks
- Author’s Page: Here
- Book Purchase Page: I Have Autism – $9.99 USD
- Social Media Links: Facebook, GoFundMe
I Have Autism and I am Special is a book for kids and toddlers that’s especially made for children with autism. Tiffany Banks is our author, and she has created a book with a simple story that describes some of the different ways the mind of an autistic child works. On top of that, the book also features pictures that are specially created, and so the book is truly and completely created for children with autism.
Tiffany starts off the book telling us about her daughter, JaynaLee, who is four and has autism. It’s clear that the author has learned a great deal from her daughter, and as such she’s able to present some of the positives and some of the challenges of autism with great clarity. From difficulties with noise, to the immense want to learn, the autistic mind of a child is explained in a way that’s meant for young children.
What I like about Tiffany’s style is that it will do two things extremely well:
- It will help an autistic child feel understood. See, our author follows us statements with questions to the reader. Such as, “I am also special because I like to know about everything and how everything works”, followed by “Do you like to know how everything works?” It’s questions like these that will help a child feel understood, even if it’s just by a book!
- It will help other children understand their autistic friends. The clarity around how autistic children see the world is given in such a simple way, that kids can’t help but learn.
Now, as with any book that explores autism or sensory-related disabilities, it’s important that the illustrations are well suited. What I found as I read through the book is that Tiffany has produced a series of illustrations and pictures that are colorful and fun. Although I love the characters in the book, I think my favorite part is the addition of what I would call clouded colors. They up the level of every illustration and I think they ensure children will love each and every picture.
In the end, this is a fantastic book that’s educational in nature. You know that we love those kinds of books here at Kids Fun Channel. Finally, this book is incredible simply because it’s trying to help children, especially those with autism. There’s nothing that I like better than a book trying to help people, and that, on top of all the great qualities of this book made it incredibly easy to recommend. Not only that, but the $9.99 USD price doesn’t hurt either!
Oh, and if you’d like to help out a great cause, head over to Tiffany’s GoFundMe Page!
Until next time, Smash, Crash, and Learn!